>> Just plain disallow direct to port 25 connections.  There's no reason
>> for it for random client machines.  If they need to use their own ISP
>> or office mail server, they can use the SMTP submission port, or a
>> VPN.

Ditto; most SMTP service providers recognize that 25 outbound is
disallowed in many places and have both provided alternate ports and
the instructions on how to use them.

> The problem with this is that most people have no clue how to use a
> submission port or a VPN. So at a cafe blocking port25 will basically be
> tantamount to telling about 90% of your users to go away and not come to
> your cafe. They will go to another cafe where they can send mail without
> trouble.

I strongly disagree - I run a pair of pfSense boxes at the head of a
very large public wifi network, outright rejecting all tcp/25 traffic
and have had precisely one complaint: from an internal employee who
was trying to get their personal laptop on and use it for their home
mail.  A short chat later, they learned to use their ISP's
authenticated server and stopped complaining.

> You could try traffic shaping port 25. You could give it 20 seconds of high
> bandwidth followed by shaping down to something really slow.

An alternative would be to set an allow rule with a rate-limit on the
port (allow 1/sec), immediately followed by a deny rule.  This
wouldn't stop some spam, but it would very seriously hinder it.

Although setting up a spam filter would be nice, that's likely more
overhead and headache than you will want to engage.  Especially since
you'd be scanning random end-users' email and dictating whether it is
sufficiently righteous to pass.  Not ground I'd want to encroach.

RB