That is the type of setup I was describing, where they sign on once (in
Windows) and then further authentication happens in the background via
Kerberos/LDAP/AD/etc.

I can't find the exact article I read before, but this describes sort of
what I was talking about:
http://klaubert.wordpress.com/2008/01/09/squid-kerberos-authentication-and-ldap-authorization-in-active-directory/

Which is still may not quite what the OP had in mind, but closer.

You are correct that it isn't handled by anything in pfSense currently,
but it doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility if someone had the
knowledge (or money) for such a project.

Jim