On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 22:06, Tim Dressel <tjdres...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Finally, I'd appreciate any feedback out there on installs with counts
> on mac bypass entries topping a 1000 count. I am considering tying
> together several of my networks and would like to know what the upper
> end on the captive portal looks like.

The captive portal's default configuration is to filter users by MAC
address.  The main difference between that and what you're doing is
that the MAC entries are made dynamically each time a user logs in.
That said, I have run a pair of Dell 2660s (dual 2GHz, 2GB) in that
default configuration over a high-churn environment with several
thousand unique clients per day with no ill effect.

My concern was not whether pfSense could handle the number of entries,
but mainly administrative overhead.  Maintaining a list of even 100
MACs is terribly cumbersome, especially considering how trivial
MAC-only authentication is to bypass.  Additionally, some of pfSense's
GUI components just don't scale well - there are some diagnostic pages
(DHCP status, CP status, ARP tables, etc.) that I've just become
accustomed to not using if the client count is over a couple hundred.

Check your system's RRD graphs during the slowdown - if your states,
queues, or CPU aren't pegged, pfSense is likely not the culprit.