On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 8:51 AM, Evgeny Yurchenko<evg.yu...@rogers.com> wrote:

>> Bill Marquette wrote:On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 7:53 PM, Evgeny
>> Yurchenko<evg.yu...@rogers.com> wrote:
>>

>>> On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 7:53 PM, Evgeny Yurchenko<evg.yu...@rogers.com>
>>> wrote:
>>> What do you use to develop pfSense? which editor? debugger?
>>>

>> Alternately <your favorite editor> and sshfs via FUSE is a great way
>> to edit it live on your test machine.
>
> This is new to me. Will see.
>>
>> I might use TextMate or NetBeans on my Mac.
>
> I see you guys use Macs intensively but how it works? I think you do not
> edit on mac then scp to your test box because:
>>
>> edit local, scp over - but that's usually too much of a pain and I
>> always end up forgetting whether I synced the change over and get
>> sidetracking debugging something that I fixed.
>>

> So, you have your pfSenese dev box, your Mac and ??? how?
> Sorry for all these silly questions but just can't get comfortable within my
> dev box...
> And thanks for hints...

Speaking personally..I use MacFusion (ssfs via FUSE with a gui
wrapper) to mount the filesystem via ssh.  Then I point my local
editor at the locally mounted filesystem.  This workflow should work
fine on Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, or anything else that supports
sshfs/fuse.  Some editors also have a concept of a remote project (I
believe NetBeans and Eclipse can handle syncing via sftp - although
I've never used that feature).