On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 11:54,  <a_subscribti...@fiberby.dk> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 17:51, Scott Ullrich <sullr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 11:42 AM, Oliver Hansen <oliver.han...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks, I just committed a change to prevent this from being a problem.
>
> I guess that would be
> http://redmine.pfsense.org/repositories/diff/pfsense/usr/local/www/diag_packet_capture.php?rev=4e7d16657607583500f9c05aa5b8b6fdfa859e1c
>
> Which solves Olivers problem filling up the /tmp/ ramdisk.
>
> Anders: did this also solve your problem ? were you running packet
> captures ? Can you post a longer ps aux | grep tcpdump to confirm
> whether this is the pflog or another tcpdump process ?
>
> No, I never use the packet-capture feature, since I have a sniffer on a
> mirror-port.
> It seems that one of my routers (the one with a fresh install of 1.2.2) is
> behaving different now.
> Just after I ran the "Kill 554", it immediately reduced the memory use from
> 50% -22%. This morning it was down to 15%.
> On the other router, the "Kill 554" apparently didn't have any effect, since
> the memory usage is still the same.
>
> Here's the full ps aux for the router that is still leaking memory:

The command names are still truncated. Do you have a larger terminal
to output on ?

The "kill 554" command removed the tcpdump process on your first
machine (where the process ID was 554), on the other machine the PID
is 517 and the process is consuming 33% of memory:

> USER     PID %CPU %MEM   VSZ   RSS  TT  STAT STARTED      TIME COMMAND
> root     517  0.0 33.0 343616 341308  d0- S     4Sep09 496:51.12
> /usr/sbin/tcpdum

I still suspect this being the pflog-tcpdump hogging memory, not the
packet capture filling the ramdisk. Scott ?

-Aarno
--
Aarno Aukia
Atrila GmbH