apiase...@midatlanticbb.com wrote:
> In one situation we had a HP procurve switch installed. We had tons of
> complaints that vista would not work but XP would. We replaced it with a
> Cisco 2950 and the complaints stopped. I have no idea why that would
> cause it to work. I have just come to believe Vista is on par with
> Windows ME for the worst OS ever.

My switches at work are all Cisco 2924 and 2950s. My one at home is just
the back end of a Linksys WRT54Gv5 though. Haven't had a problem with
either one. One customer site off the top of my head that also has
pfSense+Vista has a 24 port Netgear 10/100 switch. I don't know of
anyone with HP switches though personally.

A couple of the threads I read suggested that the replies to a "broken"
Vista request might not be making out of the NIC on the server side, or
if it is, it may not be making it back to the clients. Some
tcpdump/wireshark output from a broken request and reply from the server
and client might be enlightening.

If the packets don't leave the server NIC, you could try a few random
things like disabling checksums to see if it makes any difference (not
that it should, but it's something to try...)

Jim