On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 1:32 PM, Vick Khera <vi...@khera.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 9:12 PM, Ugo Bellavance <u...@lubik.ca> wrote:
>> 3com 905 (xl)
>
> I'd put this on your WAN and the intel on the LAN.  3Com have been
> well support in FreeBSD (and even in the original 4.2BSD before that)
> forever.
>
> For a long while, back in the early early days of PC's running BSD's,
> I would only buy 3Com NICs, mostly the 509c (which even had barrel
> connectors!) and then the 905's when we moved up to the high-speed
> ethernets.

Given the use of vlans, I imagine you might have LAN -> LAN
connectivity, the em(4) will provide better throughput than any of the
non-gig cards.  If you have an opportunity to drop an fxp(4) in there
instead of the realtek or 3com cards, you'd be happier, but given only
30mbit throughput requirements, either will handle the traffic.  The
Intel card will also do vlan tagging in hardware (and checksumming)
allowing you to save a bit of CPU.

I had a ton of those 509c ISA cards back in the day...they almost gave
me 1mbit :) (at least one had AUI, TP, and BNC connectors)  I
understand the 3c905 on a PCI bus ran a tad faster *grin*.  At any
rate, I second this config...although I've had more than my share of
issues with 3com cards, I'd still pick one over a realtek (and
certainly over a dlink branded realtek).