On 8/12/2010 1:54 PM, David Burgess wrote:
> In 1.2.3 I had very good results adding the following lines to
> /boot/loader.conf while using the squid package in transparent mode:
>
>> hint.apic.0.disabled=1
>> kern.ipc.nmbclusters="32768"
>> kern.maxfiles="65536"
>> kern.maxfilesperproc="32768"
>> net.inet.ip.portrange.last="65535"
>
> So far in 2.0 I have not seen that this is necessary, despite that my
> connection speed has gone up by 400%. I'm not sure what these options
> do or why they helped performance in 1.2.3, but it raises a couple
> questions for me.
>
> 1. Have changes to 2.0 made the above tweaks superfluous?

Are you using squid? Usually the nmbclusters only helped in that case.
As for the others, it's hard to say. You should try them individually
and see which one actually makes the difference.

> 2. If I wanted to try setting the above variable, would they still
> belong in /boot/loader.conf, or is /system_advanced_sysctl.php the
> place to put those now?

The answer is "it depends" - Some values must be tuned in the loader and
cannot be changed once the system is booted. Those will still need to be
in loader.conf. The others can go in the sysctl page. Unfortunately, the
list of which can be tuned where isn't very well documented.

Jim