On 1/13/2011 8:15 AM, Shibashish wrote:
[please don't top post]
> On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 6:38 PM, Jim Pingle <li...@pingle.org
> <mailto:li...@pingle.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 1/13/2011 5:29 AM, Shibashish wrote:
>     > My WAN ip is xx.xx.87.44
>     >
>     > I am trying to add a Virtual IP CARP as xx.xx.93.193, but i am not
>     able to.
>     >
>     > Sorry, we could not locate an interface with a matching subnet for
>     > xx.xx.93.193/27. Please add an ip in this subnet on a real interface.
>     >
>     > I want the carp ip to be used for haproxy without which haproxy doesnt
>     > start. How do i add this? Thanks.
>
>     CARP VIPs have to be in the same subnet as an existing IP address on the
>     interface.
>
>     On 1.2.x, this means it must be in the same subnet as the WAN IP. On 2.0
>     you can also add an IP alias VIP inside of the same subnet as
>     x.x.93.193/27 and then you can add a CARP VIP for x.x.93.193/27
>
>     If this is part of a CARP cluster, each unit will need a separate IP
>     alias inside of that subnet (the same way they each need an IP in the
>     WAN subnet). If it's a standalone unit you may as well use an IP alias
>     in place of a CARP VIP.

> Thanks for explaining. I wanted to use haproxy and this was not
> starting. The reason as someone suggested is that the VIP must be a
CARP ip.
> http://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=21748.0
>
> <http://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=21748.0>I'm on 1.2.3-RELEASE.

Then you can't use it with a CARP VIP on WAN there. You'd need an IP
inside of your WAN subnet. You could try a 2.0 beta snapshot and see if
it works for you.

Though you could hack an IP alias into the config on 1.2.3 using a
shellexec, it doesn't show up for use elsewhere in the GUI so it doesn't
gain you anything here.

Jim