I received one e-mail of advice from the list, but I did a bit more digging on
my own and found the resolution.

My OpenVPN server had been set up for road warriors in mind.  I had never set
up a site-to-site VPN before.

I followed the instructions here:
http://www.imped.net/oss/misc/openvpn-2.0-howto-edit.html

Particularly:
the part about adding a ccd entry specific to the CN of the key of the
site-to-site client and putting the iroute in there so the packet would have a
full return path to the network.