Good day everyone,

I was hoping to open or reopen a discussion about how pfSense reacts to a
gateway failure in a multiwan configuration. I think there was an attempt to
address this in http://redmine.pfsense.org/issues/880.

I use both 1.2 and 2.0.

I'm an advocate for changing the default route to a valid wan interface in the
event that the interface holding the default route fails monitoring.

I work with a couple of other firewall brands, coincidentally also Freebsd
based, that do support default route changes based on reachability and it works
very very well. Users don't even know what's happened. And isn't that the point
of having multiwan (at least one of the points).

So... In the issue, Ermal indicates that it's taken care of in 2.0 in another
way. I think I missed what that other way is. Because if the interface that
holds my default route goes down, lots of traffic doesn't end up hitting the
internet unless it sources from an internal network and I've got a policy route
in pf.

Is a dynamic default route change out of the question? What is the other way to
affect the same behavior in 2.0?

Thanks

Mark