If a computer doesn't pick up a DHCP address I believe it gets an APIPA
address, a 169.192 address if I recall right. With an apipa address the
computer wouldn't be able to do much of anything anyways as the subnet is
different and there isnt a gateway to my knowledge, so a standard setup of a
DHCP server and client machines sounds like what you want no?

If a computer isn't receiving a DHCP address from your pfsense then you have a
configuration issue, or your scope is too small (not set to give out enough
addresses), or there is a physical problem somewhere in your network.