On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 10:03 AM, Eric Feldhusen
<efeldhusen.li...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As part of a regional education service agency to multiple K-12 school
> districts, we're talking about using pfSense for our nat/firewalling for
> approximately 5000+ workstations on a 30-40 Mbps internet uplink.   Any one
> on the list have a pfSense similar to that for any suggestions?

http://www.pfsense.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=52&Itemid=49

I have used a net5501-70 (Geode 500MHz, 512MB) on a 40/4 connection
with ~300 users, and it is fine if you don't expect a quick UI. I have
also used an Atom D510 with 4GB of RAM on the same connection and the
UI is much more responsive, but power usage jumped from 7W to 19W. If
you want to spend a little more for that 'instant' feel, I can tell
you that a Core i3 550 on the same connection feels pretty much
instant and won't eat more than 40W at the loads you'll be subjecting
it to (depending on the hardware you marry it with).

db