> From: Chris Buechler [mailto:cbuech...@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: [pfSense Support] PPTP Broken in latest AMD 2.0
> Snapshots
>
> On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 3:38 PM, Adam Piasecki
> <apiase...@midatlanticbb.com> wrote:
> > Same config works with i386, does not work with AMD..
> > PPTP clients on AMD can not send traffic over IPSEC Tunnels or
> traffic
> > out to the internet. PPTP to the local LAN works fine with AMD.
> > I386 works with everything.
>
> That's this.
> http://redmine.pfsense.org/issues/1107
>
> Fixing that broke PPPoE entirely on AMD64, doubt if that gets fixed
> for 2.0.

Do you mean you're willing to put out 2.0-RELEASE with non-functional
PPPoE on all x64 platforms?

If I had to choose between PPPoE or PPTP support, that's a no-brainer for
me: PPPoE is far more important.  If PPTP doesn't work, I can put a PPTP
server behind the pfSense box and tunnel through.  If PPPoE doesn't
work... I have to replace the firewall.

Assuming I took your response correctly, the workaround would then be: run
the i386 build instead.

In my experience 32-bit code now provides about 20% less peak bandwidth
than x86_64 code on the latest Xeons (don't know about Opterons).  That's
not a very good workaround, IMHO.  (Yes, it's possible that was a
hardware-specific result, I wasn't doing scientifically valid
benchmarking.)  And yes, I also realize it's unlikely I'll be pumping
10Gb/sec of data through the same router that needs to talk PPPoE to an
ISP, so maybe no-one cares; the 32-bit build runs about as fast as the
64-bit build in normal cases.  I wonder if there's some difference in DMA
coalescing, or interrupt handling, in the device driver?  For all I know
the CPU could be running slower, or IOAT could be disabled or something
like that in 32-bit mode.  I'm only talking about a single data point
here.

Still hoping I misunderstood you anyway,

-Adam Thompson
 athom...@athompso.net