Brian Morrison wrote:

I don't think you understand. Pidgin support is done via a mailing
list, there is no physical support department, everything is done by a

You should probably says "public mailing list"!

Whilst this is what any regular user of open source software, or even commercial loss leader "free" software, would expect, a lot of people seem to be making this mistake.

Given the apparent market for Pidgin, which is not very aware of typical open source support mechanisms, it might be worth reviewing the documentation to make sure that it is made explicit that support requests go immediately into the public domain (confidentiality sense).

combination of the developers and users who help out.

Actually one should be trying to encourage people to look at the archives. We would get hardly any MXit queries if MXit users looked there before posting.

Also, if people can submit without subscribing, it might be worth educating users that they need to copy to the poster, when replying. Although this is becoming more and more common on lists, long term list users don't expect two copies and don't expect to copy everyone when they reply. (I'm not copying you here, only because I assume you are an experienced list user.)

--
David Woolley