I'm new to libpurple and am trying to programmatically send an AOL IM
message, I don't need the ability to receive messages.
I compiled pidgin2.12.0 and am running libpurple/example/nulclient, but it
fails to get any protocols.
I'm guessing that some configuration is missing, maybe in prefs.h? I have
not been able to find the format for prefs.h or a sample file.
Seems like status.xml, accounts.xml, blist.xml are also missing. Are sample
files available for these?

Here is the output of nullclient

sdkvpgin01 example $ nullclient
libpurple initialized.
Select the protocol [0--1]: 0
Failed to gets protocol.Aborted

sdkvpgin01 example $ nullclient
libpurple initialized.
Select the protocol [0--1]: 1
Failed to gets protocol.Aborted

Can somebody give me a pointer on how I can make progress?
Thanks

=========================================================================================================
  <<<< Disclaimer >>>>   This message, including all attachments, is private
and confidential, may contain proprietary or privileged information and
material and is intended solely for use by the named addressee(s). If you
receive this transmission in error, please immediately notify the sender and
destroy this message in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy
format. Any unauthorized use (and reliance thereon), copying, disclosure,
retention, or distribution of this transmission or the material herein is
forbidden. We reserve the right to retain, monitor, intercept and archive
electronic communications. This message does not constitute an offer or
solicitation with respect to the purchase or sale of any security. It should
not be construed to contain any recommendation regarding any security or
strategy unless expressly stated therein. Any reference to the terms of
executed transactions should be treated as preliminary only and subject to
formal written confirmation. Any views expressed are those of the individual
sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorized
to state them to be the views of any such entity. This message is provided on
an “as is” basis. It contains material that is owned by Instinet Incorporated,
its subsidiaries or its or their licensors, and may not, in whole or in part,
be (i) copied, photocopied or duplicated in any form, by any means, or (ii)
redistributed, posted, published, excerpted, or quoted without Instinet
Incorporated's prior written consent. No confidentiality or privilege is waived
or lost by any mistransmission of this message. Instinet, LLC (member SIPC) and
Instinet Canada Limited (member IIROC/CIPF) are subsidiaries of Instinet
Incorporated that are locally registered or otherwise authorized to provide
securities brokerage products and services. Please refer to the following link
for additional disclosures and disclaimers that apply to this message:
http://instinet.com/docs/legal/le_disclaimers.html.  Effective July 1, 2014,
Canada introduced Canadian Anti-Spam Legislation ("CASL"). As a Canadian
resident you are receiving this electronic communication because of your
existing relationship with Instinet Canada Limited ("ICL") or an authorized
affiliate. Canadian residents who wish to unsubscribe from commercial
electronic messages: please e-mail iclcomplia...@instinet.com. Please note that
you will continue to receive non-commercial electronic messages, such as
account statements, invoices, client communications, and other similar factual
electronic communications.