From: David Woolley [mailto:for...@david-woolley.me.uk]
Sent: Wednesday, May 17, 2017 1:21 PM
To: Evalee Gress; support@pidgin.im
Subject: Re: Certificate could not be validated

On 17/05/17 17:19, Evalee Gress wrote:

> What do I do to fix this SSL certificate error?

Check the computer's date and time, as it says.

If they are correct, contact the service provider by suitably secure means and
ask them if they are really using an expired certificate.

If they say they are, point out that it is very bad practice, then make a risk
assessment as how likely it is that a hacker may have cracked the encryption by
now.

If they say that their certificate is valid, assume you are talking to an
impostor, and do not use the service to send anything that you wouldn't want
your local organised crime boss, to know, and do not receive any files unless
you have a deep understanding of how files can be used to plant malware and you
are certain that that is not possible in your case.

Similarly, if they say they know it is expired but your risk assessment
determines it is too likely to have been compromised. Or preferably wait until
they have fixed it, at their end, before continuing to use the service.

Do not ask anyone you do not know and trust to make the risk assessment for you.