Hi Kristian,

You might want to have a look at 'headline' messages in XMPP as it sounds
like exactly what you're trying to achieve.
https://xmpp.org/rfcs/rfc3921.html#rfc.section.2.1.1
In Pidgin, these open as a new popup, outside of any conversation window,
that don't disappear without the user closing them.

Cheers,
Eion