Well, ok, that’s kinda what I’d expected – I installed Pidgin so long ago that
I’ve just let upgrades run without looking (since it’s one of the civilized
installers that remembers the options!) and had forgotten it was there.

BUT it is set, and I just reinstalled to be sure. Looking in the Registry, I
find:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\xmpp\shell\Open\command]

has value

"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Pidgin\\pidgin.exe --protocolhandler=%1"

But:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Pidgin\pidgin.exe
--protocolhandler=xmpp:xxxx...@gmail.com

from a Run or Command prompt does nothing.

I’m starting to wonder about the --protocolhandler option. is it correct? And
I’m using the Hangouts plugin; would it still be
protocolhandler=xmpp:xxxx...@gmail.com? I notice that Pidgin doesn’t even start
when I specify this option, which makes me think it rejected it entirely.
--help doesn’t show --protocol. I’m on 2.13.0.