On 12/18/2010 05:33 AM, Sampo Syreeni wrote:
> On 2010-12-03, Ronald C.F. Antony wrote:
>
>> How would the IR reverb have to be "optimized" for ambisonics?
>> Convolution is convolution is convolution, right?
>
> No, it ain't. Nobody does full 4x4 convolution; even the simplest case.
> We optimize both using simple statistics, and the more powerful
> psychoacoustics.

what guru fons does in the b-format reverbs that come with jconvolver is
this:

* measure a set of N 1x4 IRs from different positions into a b-format
microphone at the desired listening spot (using sine sweeps)
* truncate these after the early reflection phase
* assume the late reverb is the same for all positions, so retain only
one copy of that
* provide a convolution matrix with N+1 inputs, consisting of all the
positions plus one path for the late reverb.

works very well.

sampo, i was wondering: what do you mean by a 4x4 matrix?

i have been dreaming of a b-format IR that will do the correct thing for
any b-format input, but i couldn't quite get my head around how to do
the measurement in real life... is that what you had in mind, too?

it would be cool to have an anechoic b-format recording and then
convolve it with a 4x4 room IR that will get stuff right... (in fact, i
could use one right now, because the IR sets that i have lack a number
of positions i'd need).

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Meister für Veranstaltungstechnik (Bühne/Studio), Elektrofachkraft
Audio and event engineer - Ambisonic surround recordings

http://stackingdwarves.net