2011/5/2 Jörn Nettingsmeier <netti...@stackingdwarves.net>:

> those "slightly more speakers than necessary" cases are a bit tricky...
> first order over a 24 hemisphere is horrible,

At the 2008 demo I wrote about, other that the anomaly at the exact
center, I thought it sounded pretty good.  So did most of the 60 or so
people who came though during the evening.  Definitely not horrible.

I played excerpts of some of my recordings that are on Ambisonia:
Stravinsky's Pulcinella Suite, Beethoven's 4th Symphony and
Appassionata Sonata, Dvorak Violin Concerto, Paul Doombusch's Hampi
Bazzar, some of John Leonard's recordings, Jeffrey Silberman's too.

There was a quite convincing sense of the space in which the
recordings were made.   In the Stravinsky recording, you hear the
reverberation of the brass instruments moving around the hall, as it
actually does.  In the recording of the piano recital, you can hear a
slight slap echo from the front of the balcony above and behind the
microphone.   The contrast from indoors to outdoors is especially
striking.  As I said earlier, the envelopment and accuracy of timbre
are the keys for me -- they draw you into the performance.

I would have been happy to play some HOA recordings, but I don't have any.

> the most striking experience of horizontal first-order degradation over
> eight speakers was in the sala bianca in parma, using virtual ambisonic
> speakers on their wfs system. fons demo'ed ambi rendering, and we switched
> between six and eight sources.

Could you describe what you heard?  I'm genuinely curious.