On 06/03/2011 11:18 AM, Michael Chapman wrote:

Nice ... !

thanks :)

If I read correctly you did not use DRC (digital correction
for the 'room') and, if so, I wondered why :

- time pressure

- not as enamoured with it as before

. . . !

there is no meaningful DRC to be done over a large area in a large room, and this "room" was easily 8000 m^3.

it's quite interesting to use active cancellation for short early reflections within the "coloration" window, and in small rooms, you might even get good results in actively attacking room modes. but as you higher in spectrum, the area where your corrections will be beneficial becomes smaller and smaller, while the area outside will become a lot worse. so i'm still a great fan of DRC, but only in small environments where "X marks the spot".

what we could have done is measure the amplitude/phase response of the system and create an inverse filter. we did measure, but i left it to the systems engineer to provide a linear system using his tools. the design of large line array systems is a lot messier than the optimisation of studio speakers, and you won't go far if you take a too subtle approach :)

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Tonmeister VDT

http://stackingdwarves.net