On 07/10/2011 06:14 PM, Marc Lavallée wrote:
Jörn Nettingsmeier<netti...@stackingdwarves.net>  a écrit :
and don't mind around 10% THD in the low frequencies (which is not as
bad as it sounds, but also not as good as manger make it sound),

oops, this is bogus. THD means "total harmonic distortion", so it makes no sense to talk about band-limited THD. what i meant is: the distortion level is 10% at the lower end of the spectrum covered by the manger driver...

Why is Ambisonics well known in the scientific community and not much
elsewhere? Why and how to promote Ambisonics to hobbyists and poor
students who don't have access to institutional labs and studios? Are
they a lost cause?

no. the initial cost of an ambisonic system is low: four speakers and a computer. since most ambisonic knowledge is shared openly and there is some great free software, the basic hurdle is actually quite low. the demise of ambisonia.com is lamentable, but there is quite some first-order material in circulation that's free for private listening.

i have been really bad at getting more free stuff out there, but securing all those rights is such a f..ing nightmare :( but i promise to dig into my recordings some day and share all that can be legally shared under reasonable terms (i.e. some cc type of license).

With Internet, we now can do things differently without the classic
producer/consumer mediation. If your target audience is only the
producers, Ambisonics will just be patented again and sold under new
names; it's just a matter of finding new tricks related to Ambisonics.
I know that's exactly what you're trying to avoid...

it happens all the time. but there are numerous people willing and able to call BS when that happens. spatial snakeoil is abundant, and it creates confusion for people who want to explore surround, but it's not really a threat to a free spatial sound community.

Your other tutorial (for producer) shows Ambisonics as a
spatialization tool for rendering stereo and 5.1 outputs; as a
"consumer" (I hate this word),

if you're willing to tinker and maybe even record your own stuff, you're a creator. i share your dislike of the term, it was just used because many people explicitly do not want to (have to) tinker but be able to buy a product.

why would I want to install a 10 speakers
periphonic system if producers just keep their amb files as masters?
There's a missing link...

well, in my shiny version of the future, those ambi masters would of course be made available to ambisonic enthusiasts today, even if it's just a very small market. once the spatial tide has turned and all the joe sixpacks out there have ambisonic car radios, labels with large HOA back catalogues will make a mint in the reissue business.

even if that's not going to happen, mastering in ambisonics is a big advantage if stereo is surpassed by 5.1 is surpassed by 7.1 is surpassed by 22.2 is...., because you just re-render. while you're at it, why not throw together a limited edition collector's box with b-format files on an extra dvd?

I grasp it, but I don't understand it. After reading many articles, I'm
still lost, and I think it's important to understand part of the
maths. HOA sounds like a nice marketing acronym (it carries a
lot of mysticism and good vibes),

oh my... :)

but I can't just "believe"...

phew!

The best didactic resource I found is a very
strange article titled "Notes on Basic Ideas of Spherical
Harmonics". It's so good that I barely understand 10% of it.

isn't that a text by robert greene? i think i've read it. yeah, mr
greene is a mathematician, and they like it rigorous.

It's a fine text, but it reminded me how little math education I had.

oh how i share your grief :)

There's no satisfaction in being just a "user" (or a consumer).

with that mindset, ambisonics could be a great hobby!

I already read your aticles, they are really good to intuitively
understand Ambisonics. I'll read them again and again, then try
to review my old maths and learn new ones.

check out the proceedings of the ambisonics symposia (graz 2009, paris 2010, lexington 2011), there are some papers that are not too hard to understand... the way i do it is iterate: read a paper, get lost, read another, grok another aspect, and at some point revisit the first paper, grok a few more aspects, and so on :)

have you seen jerome daniel's "experimenter's corner"? besides being _the_ HOA hotshot, he's a didactic genius. particularly his illustrations are really helpful.

http://gyronymo.free.fr/audio3D/the_experimenter_corner.html

best,

jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Tonmeister VDT

http://stackingdwarves.net