On 26/07/11 3:41 p.m., Sampo Syreeni wrote:
On 2011-07-26, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
I certainly don't want you to waste your money on fancy speaker cables.
Never thought otherwise. That's obviously never been what we do here. ;)
But resistance does matter, so a good cross section such as 2.5 mm^2 puts you
on the
safe side.

What I was trying to ask is, what's the real problem with resistance,
especially with
regard to a passive speaker and a modern, A/B class solid state end stage? I
mean, I
don't really see cable resistance shifting their operating point much, even with
feedback, within the audible range.

What is it that I'm missing?
I swapped out some lamp cable on the speakers of a stereo setup some years back with some cheap stranded speaker cable I bought at Costco. Each core of the cable was about 3 times the cross sectional area of the lamp cord (each core of the speaker cable was about 3/16" in dia). The distances were not great, 5 or 6 feet.
The improvement in stereo imaging was huge.
Previously the image had wandered around between the speakers seemingly at random, now it was rock solid at the point wherever it was when I recorded it.