Hi Ben.
Thanks for your overview and relating of experiences, Ben. Much appreciated.
You said
>> We ended
>> up piecing together an 8 channel system for a 1700 seat hall that was not
>> accurate in the slightest. However, my professor and the sound designer were
>> both blown away by the precision of what was essentially glorified panning,
>> despite the large hall.

A couple of rwsponses, FYI.
One of the things that I think gets lost in all the technical chatter about
ambisonics is how "robust" it actually is:
Sure, you can get better performance by spending $squillions on gold cabling
etc etc but it is surprising how forgiving of abuse it is. Dave Malham will
remember and experiment I did in York in 1996 before the advent of
(affordable?) 4 track digital recorders - I took did some field recordings with
their (ST250, I think it was) onto two unsynced DAT recorders, made a 4ch
reconstruction in the studio and on playback, whammo! - up came the soundfield
like it had been recorded with precision!

On the Dome front - and the number of speakers depends on lots of things - do
you have any photos? One I found was not to place a speaker at the very top.
Here's some domes I've built and used ambisonics with:
http://www.avatar.com.au/worrall/index.php/polymedia-event-theatres
+ a 3rd one is on the way:
http://www.avatar.com.au/worrall/index.php/current-projects/35-polymedia-event-theatre-no-3

I'm working towards a residency in Atlanta later in the year - and they've
expressed an interest is spaces and configurations for sonification, so it may
be that we can touch base and compare notes/benefit from knocking heads
together.

cheers, David (W)

On 30/07/2011, at 1:43 PM, Ben Bloomberg wrote:

> [...]
>> synthetic sound environments on most of the performances we put together. My
>> professor loves the idea that we can encode something and play it back on
>> any speaker configuration with relatively consistent results (given the
>> halls we play are vastly different anyway, usually the ambisonic
>> configuration is the least of our concerns).
>>
>> So my experience is almost purely empirical/trial-and-error. We've done
>> systems for 3 people and systems for 2000 people, some very high density and
>> some very low density. Mostly we just put up speakers and listen to see what
>> we think, or take the live-sound fudging approach of blurring multiple
>> systems together for different seating areas. Having taken some more math
>> classes, things are starting to become a bit clearer now, but I'm still
>> learning (that never stops!). Some of our equipment sponsors have asked me
>> to write things about the projects for them, which have ended up on the
>> internet and probably contain some mis-information.
>>
>> That said, I have a two questions and an offer.
>>
>> First, I'm really interested in ambisonic decoder and encoder weightings.
>> From what I read, they provide a means to used fixed-point processing.
>> However, playing with them results in vastly different sounding results. I
>> made a really simple script to visualize the phase of a signal at the output
>> of decoders with different weightings, but I'm not sure I understand what
>> I'm seeing or how that has an effect on what we hear. I will try to make a
>> comped image of all the plots and send it out.
>>
>> Second, we will be putting up a fairly large ambisonic system hanging from
>> a 20 by 20 foot truss in the next month. I have heard that the more speakers
>> you can add to a system, the better it will sound. Is that true? With higher
>> speaker counts >20, we've had the best results by removing decoder
>> weightings. We seem to hear a better sense of localization for our synthetic
>> recordings. I had an idea that this changes the decay rate of "cosines" in
>> what is essentially a vector projection, so each speaker occupies a smaller
>> slice of the surround field "pie". Is that anything close to correct?  What
>> would be the optimum number and configuration of speakers for a 20' dome?
>> (assuming equipment is not an issue)
>>
>> Ok, now the offer! Being at a place that has a lot of resources, but little
>> time and man-power, I wanted to offer up our inventory of equipment to the
>> community. We have about 90 speakers that we keep around for projects or
>> touring. If anyone is working on a project that could benefit from extra
>> speakers, drop me a line. If we've got the gear free, you're welcome to it.
>> It's a mish-mash of Bowers and Wilkins, Duran Audio Axys, and Mackie 824s.
>> We drive our systems with MOTU, RME, and SSL MADI interfaces. Also, if
>> people are interested in testing things on this 20x20 dome and want to come
>> down to Boston (it'll be up in September and October), we'd be honored to

Dr David Worrall
Experimental Composer, Polymedia
Adjunct Research Fellow, Australian National University
david.worr...@anu.edu.au
Board Member, International Community for Auditory Display
Regional Editor, Organised Sound (CUP)
IT Projects, Music Council of Australia
worrall.avatar.com.au   sonification.com.au