> Sampo Syreeni wrote:
>
>> On 2011-09-19, Stefan Schreiber wrote:
>>

>> What she does *not* know is that the oldest, simplest and cheapest
>> NSAID medication works even better. I mean, today, now that I ran out
>> of my prescribed NSAID, I again took a gram's worth of aspirin
>> (acetosalicylic acid). As before, it worked twice as well as the 30x
>> more expensive newer -coxib.

>> That's how patents and the like distort real life, in the medical
>> circuit. ...
>
> I am obviously sorry for this incident. If you are right, this is a case
> of wrong treatment or prescription, not really patent-related.

I must disagree.
Patents _do_ distort the market.

Unpatented medicines have no budget for marketing: for
representatives to visit practitioners, for advertising, for stands at
conferences, for sponsorship, for ....
(which could bring is back to elegant arguments about ambisonics;-)>

The best example is perhaps the 'anthrax scare'. 'Everyone knows'(TM)
that plain ordinary penicillin is effective at treating anthrax (well that's
what the textbooks used to say), but one patented product had a
licence: governments spent fortunes stockpiling the latter, whilst the
former must cost only a few cents a gram ....

Michael