Fons Adriaensen <f...@linuxaudio.org> wrote:
> As Michael points out, you can have 3-D first order with
> 8 speakers, either a cube or one of the bi-rectangle
> layouts. If you are going to reproduce only 1st order
> material I'd certainly recommend one of those over using
> 8 speakers for horizontal only.

To see the various speaker configurations for
first-order full-sphere, look in the following
reference:

M.A. Gerzon, "Practical Periphony", Preprint
1571 of the 65th Audio Engineering Society
Convention, London (1980 Feb.)
(A relatively non-technical account of practical
with-height full-sphere Ambisonic decoding)

Regards,
Martin
--
Martin J Leese
E-mail: martin.leese  stanfordalumni.org