Robert:

> I think there were a number of reasons . . .

Very well  said!!

As some on the list know, so I should report back on my efforts, I tried to
 interest some senior people at Sony (and elsewhere) in considering a
version of Ambisonics for the "surround" component of 3D VIDEO -- including
movies, sports, live performances, etc.

NOT music -- where everyone knows after SACD/DVD-Audio that there will
*never* be a market for surround music.

But instead for THEATER -- which is, and has always been, the only place
where a better *surround* audio technology MIGHT become a market  reality.

No interest . . . for the simple reason that 5.1 technology is *adequate*
for that purpose.

Which is to say, the capability of Ambisonics to deliver 3D AUDIO (i.e.
"height") was not considered an interesting enough addition to *planar*
"ambience" to be worth the trouble.

The fact that movie theaters -- after all these years -- only deliver 2D
surround probably tells you all you need to know.

Good enough -- case closed.

Mark Stahlman
Brooklyn NY