The orchestra may not be around the audience, but the ambience around the
audience counts for quite a bit. If we heard a flat, frontal only image in
concert, I would guess that even people without any surround sound exposure
would find this acceptable. Just because a body isn't behind you, it doesn't
mean there isn't sound coming from behind you.
Best,
Josh

On Apr 2, 2012, at 8:34 AM, Robert Greene wrote:

> It may be old but it is still all but universal
> in acoustic concert music.
> I think it is disingenuous to say that it is not.
> How many symphony concerts have you been to
> recently where the orchestra surrounded the audience.
> The other way around, sure.
> But I think this is just not true, that music
> with the musicians around the audience is common.
> Not in the statistical sense of percentage of
> concerts where it happens.
> Robert
>
> On Mon, 2 Apr 2012, Dave Malham wrote:
>
>> Right on - as I've said before, frontal  music is largely a development of
>> 16th century Western civilisation and is not universal, even now.
>>
>> By the way, be careful about the Gabrielli's in St. Marks - there is at
>> least some evidence that separate choirs singing antiphonally were _not
>> _used at St Mark's (see Bryant, D. "The Cori Spezzati of St. Mark's: Myth
>> and Reality" in Early Music History, Cambridge 1981, p169).
>>
>>  Dave

>>> Sure; but what proportion of music are we happy to be unable to reproduce
>>> properly?  My organ music (admittedly as much as 20% of my listening) was a
>>> trivial example - and it's only in combination with other things that it
>>> becomes spatially interesting, generally.  You mentioned Gabrieli and
>>> Berlioz in a slightly dismissive manner; I would add to them people like
>>> Stockhausen and Earle Brown, a folk group moving among their audience, a
>>> hall full of schoolchildren bouncing their sounds off each other from
>>> different parts of the hall.  Not all within the restricted form of
>>> "concert music", but music in the real world where we turn our heads and
>>> enjoy our whole environment.
>>> Paul
>>
>> --
>> These are my own views and may or may not be shared by my employer
>> /*********************************************************************/
>> /* Dave Malham   http://music.york.ac.uk/staff/research/dave-malham/ */
>> /* Music Research Centre                                          */
>> /* Department of Music    "http://music.york.ac.uk/";                      */
>> /* The University of York  Phone 01904 322448                        */
>> /* Heslington              Fax   01904 322450                        */
>> /* York YO10 5DD                                                     */
>> /* UK                   'Ambisonics - Component Imaging for Audio'   */
>> /*                    "http://www.york.ac.uk/inst/mustech/3d_audio/"; */

/* Joshua D. Parmenter
http://www.realizedsound.net/josh/

“Every composer – at all times and in all cases – gives his own interpretation
of how modern society is structured: whether actively or passively, consciously
or unconsciously, he makes choices in this regard. He may be conservative or he
may subject himself to continual renewal; or he may strive for a revolutionary,
historical or social palingenesis." - Luigi Nono
*/