Robert:

> Who would have predicted in 1975 the current state of things?

Many did exactly that.  In particular, the reality of technology
increasing the productivity of manufacturing such that labor-arbitrage would
come to
dominate global trade and that the "post-industrial" economies would not
understand how to cope with these new circumstances, was widely  appreciated.

> IBM famously said that computers would never become popular
> home appliances, to take a particularly egregious instance
> of  "case closed" being completely wrong.

Sorry, that is not what  happened.  In fact, right around 1975, a fellow at
IBM named Gary Chen (who  I knew well) predicted to IBM's senior management
that there was a *very* large  market opportunity at the $5K (and below)
price-point (based on a Paretto curve  of demand vs. price/performance), which
began the effort that led to the IBM PC  -- based on the "same" Microsoft
and Intel technology that still dominates the  500M unit market for the PC
today.

The fact that so many people in the "hi-fi" industry have been wrong in
their "predictions" doesn't mean that predictions can't be made --  just that
they aren't very good at it.

Obviously no one should take my own predictions with anything more than a
LARGE grain-of-salt -- even if (or maybe because) I might be one of the few
on  this list who has made a 40-year career out of predicting these things
--  however, I can only hope that I have at least stimulated some thinking
and  perhaps even a little entertainment!

Mark Stahlman
Brooklyn NY