Since Bo-Erik mentioned it, I've been wondering about multichannel
computer audio over HDMI to a home theater amp.

Does anyone know if ALSA on Linux or Core Audio on MacOS support this?
 In other words, if I'm running Linux on a motherboard with HDMI
output, do the eight channels of audio show up as an ALSA device that
I could use with Jack?   Same question for MacOS, if I plug the HDMI
output of my MacMini into a home theater amp, do I see an 8 channel
audio device in Plogue Bidule (for example)?

I know this sort of stuff should work, but I'd like to know if anyone
has tried it.

Along these lines, it has been a while since I've bought any home
audio gear, does anyone have a suggestion for a HT receiver where one
can get at all eight channels carried over an HDMI connection?

Thanks....

Aaron