From: sursound-boun...@music.vt.edu [sursound-boun...@music.vt.edu] On Behalf
Of Ben Bloomberg [b...@mit.edu]
Sent: 09 October 2012 16:40
To: Surround Sound discussion group
Subject: Re: [Sursound] Internet communication

as a young person, I am aware of this....

It blows my mind that my younger sister and her friends use facebook
rather than email to communicate.

What will be interesting to see is whether this whole "facebook" thing
will evolve like AOL, compuserve, etc...
Already, many people are working on distributed social networking.
Where the AOL walled garden could completely track you and was full of
ads, eventually people began to use POP, IMAP and SMTP in other
programs for email. Now there are protocols and services like diaspora
and tent.io hoping to do the same thing for social networking.

As far as NAT and centralized services go, people my age still host
their own boxes. NAT doesn't really stop that. The fact is most
households still have their own public IP. That's sufficient to get
just about anything you need. IPV6 is coming, but its not going to
change too much (in my opinion) because people are now afraid of the
open web. That's where you get attacked and can't secure any
communication. It's easier to have your own kingdom behind NAT where
you don't need to worry about running Samba (or windows boxes for that
matter). It's like each household becomes its own datacenter.

Ben