> On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 01:56:04PM -0000, Michael Chapman wrote:
>
>> What I find fascinating is words that are either absent, or if present
>> rarely used but replaced by compounds.
>>
>> Things like 'foot-fingers' (French) and 'hand-shoes' (German)
>> and by comparison 'sibling' (English) which is rare* (certainly,
>> compared with it's German equivalent (though I stand to be
>> corrected)).
>
> The French have real toes, called 'orteilles'.

Agreed, but I don't think it is the commoner usage (or not round here).
But I'm on the border of French and Savoyard numbering (70, 80, 90)
... so we may not be typical ... or normal ;-)>

One of my daughters who has an acute ear for language once
did 'badly' with the school doctor ... for "talking like a fifty year
old" ... she rhetorically asked me if she (the doctor) would
have preferred playground slang .... Ah well.

Michael