WFS does give an opportunity (in ideal circumstances, I think) to have imagery
inside the array, holographic style. Not everywhere in the array, and although
it is remarkably robust (the image stays in one place, a point hovering in
mid-air) as the perceiver moves around, it does 'break' if the perceiver tries
to pass between the image and the array nearest to it.

I don't know of HOA is capable of that, I've never heard sufficiently high
order.

Height:
I think some WFS setups have the traditional horizontal array, 360 degree, plus
a line (or even two, cross-fashion) on the ceiling.

It depends on what you're putting up there, and how precise you need it to be -
control of imagery isn't the same as control of spaciousness.

I listened to WFS in the lab at Delft in about 1998 and was well impressed.
However, the lack of "up" was keenly felt, and, without it, the reverbs in the
horizontal plane sounded less 'real' than I would have liked. I suggested using
ambisonic, 1st or 2nd order, for all the ambient material (the manufactured
ambience in WFS was computationally expensive at that time) which could free up
processing and have a much more naturalistic spacious ambience.

I think my suggestion, at that time, might have seemed like a retrograde step,
mathematically inelegant. But it would work very well, I reckon, and, if
channel count limitations are still an issue, it could be handy.

At the extreme, Aldi end of things, you could use 1st order with height,
carried on 4 channels then decoded with an analogue decoder. So you'd still
have 250 channels for your WFS. Or if you're needing to work in multiples of 8
for your WFS (was that the reason for 256?) you could go down to 240, then use
the remaining <14 channels for soft decoded 2nd order height(+lowth). You're
stepping down spatial resolution in the WFS (moving the spatial aliasing down a
bit?) but trading it for better ambient-height and even some decent
imagery-height

So what are you going to use this rig for?
Cheers
ppl

Dr. Peter Lennox

School of Technology,