Dave Malham wrote:

Hi

On 1 February 2013 22:35, Fons Adriaensen <f...@linuxaudio.org> wrote:

Most systems that try to deliver sound directly to the ears
(this includes binaural, crosstalk cancellation etc.) ignore
the fact that normally a listener is not clamped into a vise.
Even binaural with head tracking only considers rotational
movements, completely ignoring translational.

That's not necessarily true in theory, but certainly is in practice :-)

Yes, but you < could > calculate this, probably even with a reasonable effort.

You would have to calculate a soundfield depending on your position relative to loudspeakers or sound sources (generalized), and to "correct" rotational movements (HT) in the 2nd stage.

It might not be something trivial, but I would call this just a reduced version of WFS. If I am right, this can be done.

The ability to move our two acoustic sensors leads to capablities
that are often ignored when describing the way some system is
supposed to work (or not work). For example front/back resolution
(which is not disputed), but in theory also resolving phase
ambiguities well above the usual 700 Hz or so limit, identifying
reflections as such, etc.

The other thing that is widely ignored is that our ears are not the
only way we perceive sound - I'm sure (well, at least I hope) Eric
will confirm that even profoundly deaf people can perceive
(particularly low bass) sounds through their direct effects on our
bodies, which simply aren't stimulated at all by headphone
presentations.

    Dave

And probably very high frequencies. (bone transmission)

However, the fact that absolute perfection might not be feasible does not mean that we can't improve the existing headphones....

Best,

Stefan