> Hi All
>
> I have been spending some time looking for a thread that I think
> we had ages ago about a surround sound microphone setup,
> in which the microphones would not be pointing outwards from a
> point, but inwards.
>
> Is there  anyone who would remember that thread? I only found three
> posts of a short thread started by Etienne on Nov 14 2002.
>
> Somehow I feel like there has also been another more lively
> discussion about a similar subject. Maybe I just don't find the right
> words for my search in the Archive.

1) Don't think this is it, but better to forward than delete ?

<< Jörn Nettingsmeier | 17 Jan 2011 14:45
Re: good quality low noise yet miraculously     cheap   cardiod/unidirectional
microphones ?

On 01/17/2011 02:33 PM, Paul Hodges wrote:
> --On 17 January 2011 14:08 +0100 Jörn Nettingsmeier
> <nettings <at> stackingdwarves.net> wrote:
>
>> if you want to use cardioids, your best bet will be three at 120° angles.
>
> As briefly used by Michael Gerzon:
> <http://www.michaelgerzonphotos.org.uk/microphones-calrecs.html>

interesting. i would have stacked them, for perfect horizontal coincidence.
if used like this, does the array require correction filters?
and isn't it a problem that frontal sound hits the "front" microphone
after the "rear" ones, or can it be corrected?
if it can be corrected, why aren't we all using four schoeps or b+k
cardioids in an inverted tetrahedron, i.e. pointing inwards?>>

or

<<> On 01/17/2011 02:33 PM, Paul Hodges wrote:
> > --On 17 January 2011 14:08 +0100 J?rn Nettingsmeier
> > wrote:
> >
> >> if you want to use cardioids, your best bet will be three at 120?
> angles.
> >
> > As briefly used by Michael Gerzon:
> > <http://www.michaelgerzonphotos.org.uk/microphones-calrecs.html>
>
> interesting. i would have stacked them, for perfect horizontal coincidence.
> if used like this, does the array require correction filters?
> and isn't it a problem that frontal sound hits the "front" microphone
> after the "rear" ones, or can it be corrected?
> if it can be corrected, why aren't we all using four schoeps or b+k
> cardioids in an inverted tetrahedron, i.e. pointing inwards?>>

Perhaps not old enough ...

2) Certainly look at
<http://www.michaelgerzonphotos.org.uk/microphones-calrecs.html> and maybe
search for links to that ?