Just joined this a bit late.

I tend to think of head movements in the context of cognitive spatial mapping.
That is, head movements are not wholly random, but can be used to build a
fuller, more robust model of the environment through a) disambiguating
unreliable/distorted cues, and b) 'firming up' cues using multiple, related,
perspectives -
so head movements are ways of improving spatial signal-to-noise ratios.
Thus, head movements are part of cognitive representational mechanisms (ironic,
because Gibson really tried to avoid cognitive constructionism)

I quite agree that the perceptual problem is not one of absolute sensory
acuity, but the signal-to-noise problem of picking up the 'right' information
in timely fashion. Given that many perceptual problems are driven by the pace
of external events, this 'timeliness' is crucial. The solutions humans use are
computationally expensive but offer competitive advantage - use 'offline'
processing to build up knowledge (of the environment) outside the urgent,
event-driven interaction-problems.
So, in a moment-by-moment interaction, it's quite likely that we make crucial
decisions using sparse information sets (which I think of as 'cognitive
cartoons') and, given that "...we are always already in a situation..."
(Dreyfus) most of what comprises our knowledge of the environment comes from
prior knowledge ('cognitive causal mapping') and the signal sets received via
sensation are really used to update and correct the on-going cognitive models.

However...
It must vary from situation to situation. In non-urgent situations, we may,
paradoxically, be able to afford to relax with the helter-skelter cognitive
modelling, and simply attend to sensations - the green-ness of a field, the
smell of some roses, the sound of a distant cricket match. There must be many
instances where urgent interaction is not indicated, where we can just enjoy
experiences. Our plethora of artificial experiences - music, art, etc might be
more of this nature, in which case, perception in artificial environments
qualitatively differs from that in real environments, perhaps?
regards

Dr. Peter Lennox

School of Technology,
Faculty of Arts, Design and Technology