Sorry to get pedantic, but K is in common usage to mean 2^10 and there has
been lot of confusion about mega being 2^20 vs 10^6 for storage.  (In fact,
I think someone sued Seagate or Western Digital over the discrepancy).

To fix this, IEC 60027-2 (2000) defines a set of prefixes and abbreviations
to use with binary quantities.  For example 2^10 is a "kibi", abbreviated
"Ki", with "bi" pronounced "bee".  2^20 is a "mebi", abbrev. "Mi".  They're
not SI, and I'll be the first to admit that I've never seen these outside
of a standards doc.

Summary here:
  http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html

some discussion here: