From: sursound-boun...@music.vt.edu [mailto:sursound-boun...@music.vt.edu] On
Behalf Of Nick Sowers
Sent: 11 April 2013 08:17
To: Surround Sound discussion group
Subject: Re: [Sursound] Raytheon reinvents the wheel..

I saw a news story about this elsewhere, and it had little information, not
surprisingly, about how this whiz-bang system works.  Is there any way to know
if Raytheon has adapted ambisonic encoding/decoding? The reason I ask is
because an artistic group I collaborate with, DEMILIT, is building an ambisonic
array and we do work related to military technology, military space, etc.

 It would be provocative to know if Ambisonics has any sort of history of
military use - in the US, UK or elsewhere?

Thanks,
Nick

PS - been watching the forums for a little while, this is my first post.

On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 2:05 AM, Dave Malham <dave.mal...@york.ac.uk> wrote:

> Seems like the defence industry has (re)discovered the usefulness of
> 3-d audio for threat presentation...
>
> http://www.raytheon.com/newsroom/technology/rtn13_3d_audio/
>
>    Dave
>
> --
> As of 1st October 2012, I have retired from the University, so this
> disclaimer is redundant....
>

> These are my own views and may or may not be shared by my employer
>
> Dave Malham
> Ex-Music Research Centre
> Department of Music
> The University of York
> Heslington
> York YO10 5DD
> UK
>
> 'Ambisonics - Component Imaging for Audio'

NICK SOWERS
SOUND+ARCHITECTURE=SOUNDSCRAPERS

510.542.7906

twitter.com/soundscrapers