Hi Paul (et al.)...

Over the last few months, I put together an Ambisonic Decoder Toolbox for
MATLAB and GNU Octave that implements the AllRAD design technique outlined
in

F. Zotter and M. Frank, “All-Round Ambisonic Panning and Decoding,” J.
Audio Eng Soc, vol. 60, no. 10, pp. 807–820, Nov. 2012.
http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=16554

and

F. Kaiser, “A Hybrid Approach for Three-Dimensional Sound Spatialization,”
Algorithmen in Akustik und Computermusik 2, SE, May 2011.
http://iaem.at/kurse/winter-10-11/aac02se/2011_Kaiser_SeminararbeitVersatileAmbisonicDecoder.pdf

The toolkit reads speaker locations from CSV files (and other formats,
including ambdec presets) and writes out presets files for Fons' Amdec
decoder.  There's also an initial implementation of a Faust backend, that
produces decoders that can be compiled to VST, Supercollider, Pd, MaxDSP,
...    (see http://faust.grame.fr/ for more about Faust).

AllRAD is a hybrid ambisonic/vbap technique, especially suited to irregular
arrays.   The idea is you design a decoder for a regular array (in this
case a 240 virtual speaker spherical design) and then map those signals to
the real array using Pulkki's VBAP.

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano (at CCRMA) used it recently to generate a decoder
for a 24-speaker tilted dome at Stanford's new Bing Concert Hall, with very
good results.   We've also done some listening tests, comparing the decoder
for CCRMA's Listening Room described in our LAC2012 paper to an AllRAD
decoder with favorable results.  The former took about 2 hours of optimizer
time, and the latter a few seconds.

There are still a few loose ends -- the performance plots (rE, directional
error) work well only in MATLAB, and there needs to be bit of sanity
checking on the speaker locations, but it is quite usable.  I've have NFC
and phase-matched crossovers filters working in Faust, but not integrated
yet.

If anyone like to try it, contact me off list (hel...@ai.sri.com) and I'll
send you a beta copy.  I'll be doing a general release as soon as I get
some instructions written up.

Aaron Heller (hel...@ai.sri.com)
Menlo Park, CA  US