There are dual-diaphragm (von Braunmuhl & Weber design) mics where the each
signal is brought out separately, such as the Pearl TL44 or Neumann QSM69,
giving you back-to-back cardioids.  By taking the sum and difference you
can get a fig-8 and omni simultaneously from the same mic.   Add a second
mic at right angles and you have a natural horizontal B-format array (WXY).
  Martin Kantola's Panphonic microphone works this way:
http://www.panphonic.com/

Aaron Heller (hel...@ai.sri.com)
Menlo Park, CA  US