From: sursound-boun...@music.vt.edu [mailto:sursound-boun...@music.vt.edu] On
Behalf Of Augustine Leudar
Sent: 16 May 2013 11:38
To: Surround Sound discussion group
Subject: [Sursound] Recreating a 3d soundfield with lots of mics.....

Recently I did a little experiment - i was creating the illusion of a barman
serving drinks to some people in a "snug" which is little room where ladies off
"ill repute" would have a drink in pubs in Ireland when only men generally
drank in pubs.
I did this by placing one microphone in the snug with two actors - and one
microphone on the bar and recording the scene. I then placed two speakers in
exactly the same place the microphones had been facing the inverse direction
(which happens to be towards the "audience"). An absurdly simple idea but it
worked fantastically well with the banning of the barman walking over to the
hatch and asking the people in the snug what they wanted creating very
effective spatialisation. Of course there wasnt the same height information. I
have since experimented with recreating whole soundfields like this with many
microphones placed in 3d to record a soundfield spaced apart and then placing
the speakers in exactly the same place. It works wondefully - recently we did a
church filling up and then people taking the places in their pews and having
individual conversations (here the cocktail effect kicks in - you can listen to
an individual conversation or just hear the general hubbub of th
 e church). Does anyone know of others who have miced up a 3d soundfield in
this way ? I have read a couple of things but none of them are quite the same,
best, Gus