If we find some convincing ways to reproduce surround via headphones, a market could easily be developped. Other people might want to listen to (future) surround recordings via 6, "many" or zillions (WFS) loudspeakers at home. This never will be a mass market, but if (configuration independent) surround recordings can be done and distributed via defined formats, people could chose how they would listen to these recordings.

On current headphones, neither stereo nor 5.1 sound really convincing. Therefore, the headphone companies and - some day - maybe even Apple etc. should look for ways to defeat the in-head and listening-fatigue effects on current devices. It is actually stunning that so few companies have tried to improve the listening experience on headphones. (Smyth Research, Beyer, some VR equipment, and who else?)

Head-tracking is currently getting really cheap, and could easily be included into such products. (This is not what I or somebody else < believe >, it is a fact.)

One reason for binaural in-head localization can be 'faking it' with multi-miking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh4u4IKiXHU

I knew the Tardis was not real, but still...