At 06:34 28/6/2013, Eric Carmichel wrote:

>The technique assumes that the live source is *stereo* too; that is, a
>stage ahead of the mics with musicians aligned in rows that have L-R
>orientations.

Actually, if you think about it, the Blumlein technique assumes that the musicians are arranged in circles around the pair. I have done this experimentally with orchestra using a pair of Schoeps Colette fig 8 mics. It worked well, except that the hf response of these mikes is higher at 0 degrees, thus pulling the violins over to the sides.

David