To make a name for learning,
When other roads are barred,
Take something really easy,
And make it really hard.

For the removal of doubt ... I am on your side Robert.

Had a student from a certain university convinced that one needed a
trillion spot mic's at 5K each and that  _recording_  above 16-bit was a
waste of time .... their illustrious professor had never mentioned
dithering, either ...

I will now reach for my homeopathic pills

Michael

(ackl: Piet Hein)

> Hugely long. But one point cries out for comment:
> It is simply nonsense to say that it would not
> be useful to have the results
> available for pink noises sources at various
> spots on the stage recorded via various microphone
> positions. It is well known and completely established
> that pink noise is a very good indicator of general
> tonal character. It is for instance by far the most
> reliable identification tag for different loudspeakers
> or different EQ settings. That one can become
> fatigued--take a break occasionally!
>
> This is just not true to say that this would not give
> a lot of information.
>
> In fact, David's whole response is just more
> of the kind of argumentation that prevents
> audio from getting anywhere. People seem
> unable to understand how analyitical thought works.
> One starts with simple situations and answerable
> questions: What does this microphone technique
> do to the frequency response of a standaidzed source
> located at various positions?
>
> It is silliness to say that this is not information.
> It is also silliness to say that this is the
> only information one needs. But the former silliness
> is worse because no one would think the latter.
>
> The truth is that the field or recording seems almost
> intent upon keeping their methods intellectually mushy.
> It is as if they do not want to know how things work.
>
> And the really odd thing is that other people in
> the sound world are not like this. Auditorium
> acousticians try like crazy to figure out what
> does what in concert hall sound. They do a good job too
> (Harris got Benaroya to match Vienna GMVS reverb time
> with in 0.1 secs bottom to top--try that with mushy methods).
> And people who make and adjust instruments study
> constantly the effects of things. All violinists know
> which strings do what to the sound. It is part of our
> work. Knowning such things does not make life less
> "artistic"--it makes it possible to advance.
>
> Only recording(and playback) seems to be attached to
> the idea that no one ought really to know anything.
> No one who has made a recording has failed to notice
> that unexpected and complex things matter. Blumlein
> miking a one point can sound quite different from
> the same at another point not far away for example.
>
> But once again, a field progresses by analyzing its work
> one step at a time not be having a club of people
> who just mess around with the ways they have always
> messed around and say that no analysis is possible because
> everything is so complicated. This is the sort of thing
> that the mush minded said about genetics say, before
> it began to be figured out. "Oh we shall never understand
> how things are inherited, it is all so complicated and hidden".
>
> To return to the main point, I think it is a basic misunderstanding to
say that how a microphone technique records a pink noise
> source at different spots on a stage is irrelevant information.
> I think it is very relevant indeed. A journey of ten thousand
> miles begins with a single step. That would be a reasonable
> first step in understanding microphone techniques(and microphones).
>
> And it is surely a most basic misunderstanding to say that pink
> noise response is not a useful indicator of sound. Exactly the opposite
is true. It is the most reliable and accurate one if one must
> have a single source--it is a demonstrated fact that it is
> for example the signal that gives the best identification of which
loudspeaker is which when comparing blind two similar but different
speaker.

> Robert
>
> On Wed, 3 Jul 2013, David Pickett wrote:
>
>> At 06:31 3/7/2013, Robert Greene wrote:
>>
>>> Variations from reality ought surely to be based on knowing
>>> how to reproduce the reality first and then introducing the
>>> variations. One does not bend pitches for artistic effect
>>> until one is able to play in tune, so to speak.
>>
>> Yes, indeed; but such question begging exposes the problem per
>> analogiam.
>> What does one define as "in tune"?  What you are asking for is the
ability to
>> reproduce a complete soundfield with 100% accuracy, and then to introduce
>> variations.  We have not yet progressed to this level.
>>
>>> If people want to treat recording as a pure art form
>>> where one simply judges the results on aesthetic grounds.
>>> it would be hard to say that was wrong. But it surely
>>> takes recording out of the realm of science.
>>
>> I am not sure that many of its practitioners (even Blumlein) regarded
recording as a science: it is rather an exercise in engineering
combined with
>> aesthetics and as such intrinsically hard to theorize about.
>>
>>> To my mind, offensive or no, it remains startling to me
>>> that there is no recorded demo of how various stereo mike
>>> techniques reproduce the sound of a pink noise source at
>>> various spots around the recording stage, for example.
>>
>> I cannot imagine that anyone would want to listen to a CD of pink nose or
>> that anyone can believe that objective determinations can be made by
doing so
>> for longer than a few minutes.  The ear adjusts to what it is hearing,
as the
>> eye does to colours under different lighting conditions and there is no
equivalent to "grey cards" for white balance. Even doing A/B
comparisons with
>> the flick of a switch is fraught with self-deception, unless the levels
are
>> controlled and enough time is allowed to accustom oneself to A before
assessing B.

>>> Surely people might want to know whether the mike
>>> technique was changing the perceived frequency response of sources
depending on where the sources were?
>>> How can people NOT want to know this?
>>
>> There is a book by J?rgen Meyer (Acoustics and the Performance of Music).
>> The blurb on Amazon says: "This classic reference on musical acoustics and
>> performance practice begins with a brief introduction to the
>> fundamentals of
>> acoustics and the generation of musical sounds. It then discusses the
particulars of the sounds made by all the standard instruments in a
modern
>> orchestra as well as the human voice, the way in which the sounds made by
>> these instruments are dispersed and how the room into which they are
projected affects the sounds."

>> I have had this book for over 30 years.  It contains polar diagrams of
most
>> orchestral instruments plotted for different frequencies.  Nobody that
I know
>> has ever found much use for the data in making a recording, beyond
those generalizations that are obvious to the ear.

>>> I agree with EC that a complete analysis of
>>> the relationship between recording and musical sound
>>>  would be a tremendous
>>> task, perhaps one that is not even well defined.
>>
>> I think that is a conceit: there are far too many independent variables
and
>> the exercise would probably become what Glen Gould would describe as
"centipedal".

>>> This is how science works. One works out simple cases
>>> first. The fact that no one knows if there are infinitely
>>> many primes pairs with difference 2(eg 17 and 19) does
>>> not make it irrelevant to know that there are infinitely many
>>> primes. One answers simple questions first.
>>
>> Again: recording is not a science.  If anything it is a craft with
elements
>> of engineering.  I have been teaching it for over 30 years at
university level and the number of textbooks that are of any use
whatsoever, and those
>> with caveats, can be counted on one hand.  Take, for instance, the
excellent
>> book on Stereo by Streicher: most of the information is either
>> theoretical
>> (e.g. the combination of unrealizable polar diagrams) or else cannot be
used
>> without extensive empirical experimentation.
>>
>>> Personally, I would just like to know which mike technique
>>> does what to the tonal character of sources at different
>>> locations around the recording stage. If you don't care, you
>>> don't care. But I wish I had a disc where I could listen
>>> and find out. I find it hard to believe that other people
>>> are not interested in this.
>>
>> As I am sure you know, active listening is a very tiring process that most
>> people are not trained to participate in.  If one cannot identify
differences
>> within seconds it is best to take a long rest and try again much later.
Few
>> have the patience for this and professionals cannot afford the time
when musicians are waiting to perform.