Marc Lavallée wrote:

In my experience, the order of channels in jack are stable enough to
use this simple channels remapping trick:

mplayer -channels 4 -af channels=4:4:0:0:1:3:2:1:3:2 -ao
jack:port=ambdec AJH_eight-positions.amb

FWIW, while looking at mplayer code it occured to me that -

1. My suggestion in my last post to make mplayer sort by name is silly
and would be wrong for higher orders where channel number matters (I
can't reply to my own post because of the stupid way gmail works).

2. Rather than taking time to extend mplayer to take input names, though
useful, I could just use qjackctl patch bay. With that I can set up
connections how I want and handle all the variety of higher orders
(though I did notice an 8 channel limit in the mplayer code - easily
changed).

So if I did need to use mplayer for many different types of .amb I would
just set up different mappings in patchbay, load my settings on starting
jack and then with recent (older doesn't have noconnect) mplayer do
something like -

mplayer -channels 4 -ao jack:name=MP4:noconnect some-bformat.amb

mplayer -channels 7 -ao jack:name=MP7:noconnect some-3rdhoriz.amb

etc. MP4 and MP7 being names used in my patchbay config the right
connections will be made when mplayer starts.