On 08/01/2014 17:29, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
On Wed, Jan 08, 2014 at 05:19:53PM +0000, dw wrote:

I have a problem with band-filtered noise. I don't think it tell you
anything very useful, as the results are only applicable to
band-filtered noise, and often anechoic HRTFS are used too, this
means it has zero relevance in everyday situations. Science! What
can you do with it!
Band-filtered noise can reveal how performance depends on requency
range.

In this test there is a serious problem: all the filtered noise
examples have wideband transients at the start and end. This could
completely invalidate the results. For example it could very well
be that the transients can be located well but the noise itself
not. To avoid that they'd need a short fade-in/out instead of being
switched on and off.
Agreed. I was not sure whether the glitches were my end, due streaming or something.

Apart from that, I found all three systems sounded rather horrible.
Agreed. There was a lot of colouration, and audible reverb without much distance, on some, Also you can't really determine direction when sounds are close to the head.

Ciao,