Hi Jörn (found it:)

This all makes sense.

I forgot that a sphere would refocus sound back to the centre position. It
would probably make the sound more mono! I was concentrating on the least
amount of reflections to the listener, from a stereo point of view, with the
listener and speakers non central. Of course if the speakers are tangential on
a sphere, the sphere will reflect energy back through the centre position. This
is probably why it is used to an advantage in some speaker designs, as the
driver is never centre, and it is obviously open at the driver end. I will ask
you first when shares become available :)

A few diffusers at the back will keep the vibe sweet I think, it will also help
when I start recording drums....

Looking back at your speaker positioning, it seems that this set up would be
the best (fourth order) set up for what I have. I wasn't planning on having a
separate decode for the full range horizontal ring, unless thats a good idea?
The less decoding the better I think. It may take a lot of eq to get both sets
to sit together, but the full range set is definitely of better quality. Do you
think it would still be fine to decode 3rd order to this rig?
I think I have been reading to many old papers that obviously push home the
platonic solids being the best for decodes. I wish I had explored the idea of
'rings' earlier, I had just presumed that they weren't optimal, even though I
had read and seen everyone here talk about them. It just goes to show that It
is quite easy to go down a less than optimal path with ambisonics, even though
I have been researching or mixing in the format for 3 years!

The studio is based in East London, you are welcome, as is everyone on the
list. I will post when finished and peeps can arrange off list for a listening
session.

Kind regards

Steve