On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 07:50:43PM +0000, Dave Hunt wrote:

> Surely the best approach is to feed the noise signal (post decoder)
> into each speaker channel in turn and adjust the amplification on
> each channel until the level measured at the centre listening point
> is the same for each speaker.

That would be a prerequisite for the method I explained.
But it still leaves you with an uncalibrated system, as
the decoder gain (no matter how you define it) isn't
included.

> The panning approach won't work, as all speakers would be excited at
> various different levels. It would be useful after the above
> calibration to see if the sound of the noise of the noise was
> consistent everywhere everywhere it was panned.

On the contrary, it's the only one that will give the correct
result.

***   Calibration means to have a defined relation between
***   the level of the W channel and the measured SPL.

This can be done only with the decoder in the path.

Another approach would be to sent W only (at reference level)
to the decoder, and then measure each individual speaker (by
soloing it, ambdec provides the function) and adjusting for
reference SPL - 10 * log(number_of speakers). This would be
less accurate as it doesn't allow for the partial correlation
between speaker signals (which will depend on frequency if
you use dual band decoding).

Ciao,

--
FA