Dave Malham wrote:

> We had a rig in our original Music Technology room consisting of four Quad
> electrostatics (the original ones!) suspended about a metre and a half
> below the sloping wooden ceiling so they were above head height but angled
> so they were directed at a central head height point. The array worked very
> well at reproducing 1st order pieces on the horizontal but generated
> spurious 'up' (and 'down') images which we traced to reflections of the
> radiation from the back of the speakers from ceiling nd walls.

In fairness to Dermot, I should point out that
elsewhere in his 1996 post (in a part I did not
quote) he wrote:

   "It would appear that, in general, lively
    listening environments are preferable as
    long as strong early reflections are avoided."
and:
   "Use of reflecting diffusors would therefore
    appear to be recommended such that
    strong specular reflections are avoided but
    significant liveness is maintained."

Dermot's post is preserved at:
http://www.ambisonia.com/Members/mleese/dermot/

Regards,
Martin
--
Martin J Leese
E-mail: martin.leese  stanfordalumni.org